7.28.2008

Do You Have a Door on the Bathroom Yet?

It has been quite some time since the last time that I posted to the blog. Most of our work (albeit not very much) had been on the exterior of the house. We have worked on getting the front lawn in better shape, since a year or so of no water has taken its toll on it. Unfortunately that required us ripping out the weeds that had replaced the front lawn. With a little re-seeding, we have managed to bring back a few clumps of grass here and there (pictures posted later).

I also began to replant the flower garden near the porch and the curb. I chose plants that require a lot of sun, but not very much water. In other words, cinquefoil, Russian sage, salvia, barberry, thyme, and some shasta daisies. Anyone who lives in Colorado is probably familiar with these low-water species. Unfortunately low-water and no-water should not be confused, as a few have died. Perhaps we are better candidates for a rock garden.

In addition to all this extensive gardening, the cottonwood continued to lose branches in the latest windy spring. In fact, we had quite the collection of sticks on the side of my house. Fortunately, my parents were kind enough to come up for a visit from the southland and grind up all that biomass. It took them one full day, but the pile is gone and the trees look better. That is, one of the cottonwoods looks better. The cottonwood closest to the street has started its journey to the great beyond. You know a tree is looking bad when a couple of guys show up at your door and offer to take the tree down for a mere $1500. I really don't like the idea of paying $1500 to remove something that I am actually fond of.

Anyway, our most recent accomplishment, as the title suggests, is the near-completion of the bathroom. For almost a year, guests have come and gone in the house. Their biggest complaint has always been that the lack of a bathroom door means that one must announce their bathroom intentions to the others in the house. Although there is still a few more things to fix in the bathroom, Brice has finished the trimming, caulking, and painting in the bathroom. I know in previous posts I had decided to paint the bathroom blue, but a last minute decision led to what you see before you.

BEFORE


AFTER


BEFORE


AFTER




Finally, I was able to sew some curtains from a matching shower curtain. I am quite proud of them. Brice suggested that they should "snap" together, so that the neighbors can't see in. However, I thought a button might be a little more stylish. I used a button from some old buttons that my mother gave me and a Jade donut that my friend Jody brought back from Hawaii. Thanks to both of you for your contributions to the curtains.

I should also address the plant on the counter before I get some comments. It has not been planted in the pot yet.





So to answer everyone's nagging question... Yes. There is a door on the bathroom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bathroom really turned out nice. You can tell that you spent a lot of time working on this project. I think the button on the curtains is a fantastic idea. I might try it.

Anonymous said...

What ever happened to Gary the spider? He was an interesting character!

Anonymous said...

What color did you use for the bathroom and bedroom? Are these colors true to life? I really like what you are doing to the house. Keep up the good work.

Amandazzle said...

Unfortunately, Gary was a real old spider and one day we found him dead in the kitchen. It has been some time since we could find him another fly. Brice says he was probably the oldest orb spider on earth, since he would have died otherwise.

Amandazzle said...

The colors look different online than they do in real life. I pick up paint swatches every chance I get. I usually find one I like and then mix it into Dutch Boy paints, since they are affordable and got good ratings in Consumer Reports.

The master bedroom is a bluish-green. The color was called Rock Moss #634 and was a swatch from the brand Color Place (Walmart I think...) I would say in real life it looks about the same color as hospital scrubs.

The bathroom is a purple-grey. The color was called sterling rose and was also from Color Place. Sometimes it appears grey and in the bathroom it appears more purple.