2.25.2007

Could I be an old house person?

My first post probably should have been in January when I started looking at purchasing a home. After driving by a small house for sale in a town east of where I currently live and listening to yet another night of my neighbors arguing in the apartment below mine, I decided to make the plunge into home ownership.

Since I have lived in the same city for about eight years, I probably should have started looking a long time ago. You just never feel like you are going to stay and nothing has really felt like home up to this point. Unfortunately the city I live and work in is far too expensive for a single person to buy a home, so I immediately looked to nearby towns. I wanted something modest in size, but preferably with a larger lot (as large as you can get in a city anyway). I could afford a condo or town home, but really wanted a house. That left my search limited. Although I was approved for much more, I gave myself an artificial cap and set out to see houses in that price range. Much to my disappointment, I looked at houses that were next to railroad tracks, less than 400 square feet, 30 miles from work, and in one instance, right next door to a plague-ridden trash pile. I finally found a house with potential, but it was built in 1905... Could I be an old house person?

I have always liked old houses. I have always liked hardwood floors. I have always wanted something that I could decorate to my tastes, but would this the money pit everyone said it would be?

No comments: